Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Featured Artist - Murray Powell

I've decided to start a new feature on my blog.  Once a month (hopefully) I will post the profile of an artist with a disability whose work I am familiar with.  This month, and my very first feature, will be Murray Powell.  
Murray Powell


Murray is an extraordinarily talented singer songwriter who lives in Toronto, and I've known him for many years.  We have also worked in the theatre together on several productions when I was with The Glenvale Players, the most memorable being a production of "Greetings" by Tom Dudzick. Murray is currently a contestant in this year's iFactor completion held by CNIB.     
He will be releasing his first CD entitled “REMEDIOS” on June 25th. If you would like to hear a sample of Murray's music, a haunting and beautiful song about life in a residential school, please follow the link below, and DON'T FORGET TO VOTE FOR HIM. http://www.theifactor.ca/VideoGallerySite/contest/MyVideoPlayer.aspx?ID=HBzcBe7O9Qk

Note regarding iFactor: This is an annual fund raising event held to benefit CNIB, not the artist. However, they do win a prize and receive recognition. Each vote costs $1 the proceeds of which go to CNIB
This post in no way supports the contest, only the artist, who is fabulous.

So, gentle readers, without further adieu, and in his own words, I give thee;  

Mr. Murray Powell...

"I am a singer, song writer and performer and I play rhythm guitar and Bass as well.
I have been involved in music since the age of 12 as my parents both were musicians and I experimented with Piano, accordion, trumpet and trombone. I also used to play and sing with some other friends at high school dances.  I studied music in school and attained a grade 8 vocal and grade 3 in music theory and played major roles in some Gilbert & Sullivan operettas including the Macado and HMS Pinafore.
 
For a time during my work life I put music aside but, more recently, I got back into playing and took guitar lessons in the early 2000’s.  During the past 9 years I got back into singing publicly starting with a live performance at a fundraiser event for the Glenvale Players Theater group in 2002.

Two years ago I formed a group called Prowler and the Wildman AKA “PWM” comprising a mandolin, lead guitar, drums and myself and for several months we performed a weekly gig from 8:00pm to midnight on Wednesday nights at the Black Swan in the east end of Toronto, until the owners had a change in venue.  I have also performed at several other local open stages and bars including Sarah’s Café, TKO’s, California Bar and Grill, The Old Nick, Eton House and Tario’s

Over the past 4 years I have participated in a weekly jam with a group of other musicians held on Saturday afternoons which is still occurring at Wise Guys Bar & Grill on Danforth Ave. east of Woodbine (Toronto) where I have had the occasion to try out many new songs and share good times with these musicians.
I also had the opportunity to perform at Winter Folk this past spring a music festival held annually in the east end of Toronto.

I have a repertoire of over 300 cover songs including country, folk, Irish, blues and good old rock and roll.

In June, 2011 I recorded and (will) released my first CD of original songs called “remedios” comprising 13 of my own compositions.  This CD is dedicated to the memory of my daughter Leslie Marie Kelly who was killed in 2008 at the age of 26 and there is a special song for her on this album.

I am looking for opportunities to play either independently or with my group as well as promote my CD and welcome any referrals that may come my way.  I am also open to participating in interviews and or discussing my material upon request.

Please feel free to contact me at the address cited below.
  
Thank you for your interest"

Thanks so much Murray, and I will be at your launch in two weeks with my box of tissue.  I know I'm gonna cry when I hear Leslie's song.  Wishing you the best of luck with lots of love.



No comments:

Post a Comment